So whats been going on in the shed-to-studio conversion? My last blog about the studio is that I completed the flooring in my premier laminate flooring debut.
Since then. I have put together a cutting table using an old door and a couple of trestles, made a sewing machine table with some Ikea table legs and an old wardrobe shelf. Spent a couple of days unpacking more boxes, sorting and filling drawers and cupboards. Within days the place was ready for use!
There was a tiny issue with the weather getting colder. As the outdoor temperatures dropped into single figures, then even further into -2ºc for a few nights this week, I needed to take action to be sure my fabrics, yarns and papers would not get ruined and frost bitten. I also needed enough warmth whilst working. Trying to cut fabric using a pair of heavy 10″ solid metal cutting shears is no joke in a temperature of 6ºc!
My bf came to the rescue with a garden shed heater that stays on 24/7 and emits a low temperature heat, enough to keep the frost and damp at bay. I have another heater on while I’m working to keep the room temperature in double figures. I know the legal temperature limit for classrooms in the UK is 12ºc, so I aim for that at least. Which is manageable when I’m in my sheepskin slippers, fleecy jumper and hat.
I am starting off work very slowly, by doing some very basics:
1. Making a pattern for an A-line skirt. I’ve not made a pattern from scratch for a long while. Decades. I pulled out my old pattern cutting book. So old, it has the price in shillings and pence! My scissors emitted a well-missed sweet sound as i cut the skirt fabric out. More of that to come.
2. My next project is to work with a doll pattern from the Doll Fashionistas book I found some months ago. The brown wool fabric is an old wool jjacket of Alexander’s. It is quite felt-like so ideal for this, and a good colour. I’ve so far made the body and the head. I am following the book’s instructions for now, but can already see where i will be making modifications. not happy with the head shape already, but i can see more clearly how to make an effective doll head pattern from starting with this one.
I will persevere as much as I can to work in the studio over the coming winter months, but it will be a challenge. It needs at least 40mins to get up to 10ºc and thats ontop of using the low level garden shed heater. i am a little worried about heating costs. I may move the sewing machine into the apartment if necessary in the New Year. It is going to get colder in the next few months. Brrrrrrr!!!!